The Taking of Me

I think we all go through times when we feel spent. We discover that we've allowed people into our lives who take and do not give. When we realize this, then we have a choice, to cut them off and stop giving or let things continue on as they have been. This is a reflection regarding that experience. Take it for what it is, a reflection. Enjoy!

I spread myself so thin
you can almost see through my skin
people clamor for praise, praise I long to give
but it results in the taking of me
these connections I make are shallow at best
I dole out my energy like it's candy
then realize too late that I'm the one losing
and so I recede back within my comfort zone
taking care to nurture my spirit within
making myself healthy again
so that I can give comfort and
nurture the ones I love
I wind down trails that lead to nowhere
and so I walk back to where I started
placing 'no trespassing' signs on these paths
to remind myself that these roads are not to be tread down again
I'm too wise for this foolishness
but I get sucked in every time
the false hope of importance
the beautiful lie of being needed
pulls at me, and longs for me to enter in
but I know better than to get caught up
in the tangled thorns of the past
I will treasure the friendships I have now
I will no longer ponder on the 'what might have beens'
life is just too short for the taking of me

Rebecca Truman
May 3, 2010

Comments

Popular Posts